Thursday, June 2, 2011

All it had to do was not flood.

And it hasn't yet.

We live and farm along the Missouri River.

The Army Corp of Engineers has been releasing updates for the past few days about the amount of water they are releasing from the lakes on the northern part of the Missouri River.

Best case scenario is not good.  Worst case scenario is a lot of water.

We were on go to build a new house.  On a hill overlooking the River Bottoms.

Now our new house plans are on hold and we will definitely be moving.  I think we have decided this is it.  We aren't coming back flood or not.  We have moved too many times to do it again.  Of course the farm stuff will be back, but at least we won't have to worry about the house stuff too.  Makes me sad.  As much as I complain about my little bitty house, I will be sad to leave it.  I love my yard and I have put many hours and many flowers in it.

So much to clean out. . .  House, garage, scrap shack, barns, sheds, machinery. . . the list goes on and on.

So, I know my posting hasn't been as often as I would like.  I am not sure what the next few weeks entails for us.  If the USACE is correct, probably a lot of this.  . . .

This picture is from the USACE-KC Website

Just wanted to let you know where I am and what is going on.

This will be the 4th time in 5 years we have "Spring" Cleaned.  Very unusual, but has a lot to do with the amount of water they release from those lakes upstream.   Lakes designed to help with flood control. Ironic?

I am an optimist (my husband is not) and we have been spared each of the past four times the river was high.  Other local levees broke and ours stayed in tact.   

On a more positive note. . . our local Relay for Life event is tomorrow!!  Our small community has already raised over $44,000!!!!!  WOW!!  I am impressed!!!  



Here is a link to the latest article about the river. . . 

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/pa/pr/PA-2011-38%20Flooding%20imminent%20in%20the%20lowe%20basin%20of%20Missouri%20River.pdf


And here is the NWS where they track the river stages and forecast future stages.

1 comment:

Darcie Johnson said...

I've been wondering about you guys . . . I don't suppose this means you've decided you want to move to Florida? You know how I feel about your house though :(